Thursday, December 23, 2010

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

A couple of months ago, I wrote about G here at work. He's the guy who got the rack room job due to some serious ass kissing and breaking of the contract. Time passes, and G doesn't seem to be working in the rack room anymore. He's switched duties with the swing/vacation relief guy in Single Copy. (we'll call him N)
E mail is such a part of the modern business operation, you all know this. But G doesn't even know how to turn on a computer, much less read or write an email in English. So, when people make requests for racks to be fixed, he can't read them. So they don't get fixed. And you can't sell papers out of a broken rack.
When G goes out into the field, if he can't find a rack he goes home. (so I've been told) They've written him up and it hasn't helped.
What kills me is that switching duties with N is a direct violation of the contract. If you can't do your bid job, you go to the casual hire list. Or, you get fired.
We are such an embarassing Teamster barn. We don't even have a shop steward in our department. Nobody gives enough of a shit to take on the duties. Don't suggest that I put up or shut up, I've been the Shop Steward and I was forced out when I reminded the head of our local that "you work for us." I never lost against the company, but it was sometimes difficult to defend guys who really needed punishment.

So, that's where we sit for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment